29 N Howell Street 517-437-7758

2B District Court, State of Michigan

Honorable Megan R. Stiverson, District Court Judge


Court Administrator/Attorney Magistrate - Laura T. Rahe


Telephone: (517) 437-7329
Fax (517) 437-2908

2B District Court Office Information

Hillsdale County Courthouse Annex
49 N. Howell St.
Hillsdale, MI 49242

8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.


For matters concerning District Court. 

Can we get married in District Court?

Yes. Weddings are done for a $10.00 fee, two witnesses are necessary, and the weddings are scheduled on Thursdays and Fridays. Please call the District Court for more information.

I need to file a small claims action, how do I do this?

The necessary forms are self-explanatory and available at the District Court for $1.00 or you can obtain them online.   Your filing fees will depend on the amount of your claim.

What is the jurisdictional limit on civil matters in District Court?

For small claims matters, the most you can claim is $7,000.00. For a civil matter, the limit is $25,000.

I was just served a summons and complaint. What is this and what do I need to do?

Read the summons carefully. It tells you what you have to do. If you still have questions, contact an attorney.

I am an employer and I received a garnishment. What do I do? How much should I send?

Read the pleadings carefully. They tell you what you have to do. There is a calculation method on the back of the form, and you may use that to calculate amounts. If you still have questions, contact an attorney.

I have a judgment against me, and I would like to pay it in installments. Can I do this?

It is necessary that you file a Motion for Installment Payments with the Court. These forms are available at the District Court for $1.00 or you can obtain them online. There is a $20.00 filing fee.

I have criminal charges against me and cannot afford an attorney. What can I do?

You can request court-appointed counsel to represent you with regard to the charges against you. You must come to the District Court and complete a Request for Court Appointed Counsel.   The  Court will then consider your request and, if you qualify, counsel with be appointed to represent you.

I have a non-criminal legal matter, cannot afford an attorney, and believe that I am in need of legal counsel. What can I do?

Contact Legal Services of South Central Michigan at (517) 787-6111.  You may also wish to review the information available on the following website:  https://michiganlegalhelp.org.